Have you surveyed your workplace culture? Organisations such as Lloyds of London conduct regular independent surveys into workplace culture to help them understand how they can make the working environment more inclusive.
Create a Gender-Balanced Workplace by Ann Francke, CEO Chartered Management Institute is part of the Penguin Business Expert series of books. Launched on Tuesday 2 October 2019, this practical, pragmatic and actionable guide brings together the best advice and guidance from a wide range of sources.
For example, empirical evidence for the unquestionable business case for becoming an inclusive business comes from McKinsey who estimate we could add 28 trillion to global GDP if we achieved gender equality everywhere.
Contributors to the book include:
- Dame Cilla Snowball, former group chairman and group CEO, AMV BBDO, chair, Women’s Business Council, UK
- Cherie Blair, QC
- Julia Gillard, former Australian Prime Minister and chairwoman of the Global Partnership for Education
- Bruce Carnegie-Brown, Chairman of the insurance market Lloyd’s of London.
At the launch Bruce spoke honestly of his shock at the results of an independent survey he commissioned into workplace culture at Lloyds of London and how this spurred him and his team to set targets and take definitive action.
Ann Franke urged leaders at all levels to get bolder, get braver, take a stand and do something.
If your organisation is one of the few which has achieved a gender balanced workplace congratulations, and please help us spread the word about how good it is for business. For rest of us, this book offers a comprehensive inexpensive read which you can put into action no matter where your organisation is starting from.
Article by Jo Strain
CMI Southern Lead for Inclusion
You may need to login as a CMI member to access some of the resources below
- Create a Gender Balanced Workplace, Ann Francke, Penguin Business Expert series
- CMI Blueprint for Balance is a free online tool contains many practical tools, templates and materials addressing
- Search for Gender balance in CMI Management Direct to identify many additional resources, for example
- We had a history of bullying and harassment – it had to change, Author: Jeffery, Robert; examines how Royal Mail have embraced gender diversity and changed their long standing culture
- Blackrock: How we used sponsorship to boost gender equality – this Insight shows how Blackrock used sponsorship to reduce gender inequality.
- The diversity differentiator, Author: Meinert, Monica C.Publication: ABA Banking Journal provides insight to how America’s banks are striving to create more diverse, equitable and inclusive workforces